Tzatziki is a Greek dipping sauce served with grilled meats such as lamb and chicken. Although the spelling can be intimidating, it’s pronounced “tza-tzi-ki.” Every Greek family has its own “secret” to making their tzatziki sauce great but here is the basic tzatziki recipe!
Garlic Cucumber (Tzatziki) Dip Recipe Ingredients:
- 1 medium, peeled and grated cucumber without the seeds
- 1/2 pint Greek Yogurt
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1-2 cloves garlic to taste
- 1-2 tablespoons white vinegar or lemon juice (optional – recipes vary according to families, churches, regions of Greece, traditions, etc)
- 1 teaspoon chopped dill (optional)
How to Prepare:
Place the yogurt in a bowl and add the crushed garlic.
Squeeze out any excess water from the cucumber and add it to the yogurt mixture. This is an important step as the yogurt will be runny if the cucumber is not thoroughly strained.
Add the olive oil, salt and stir the mixture well.
Garnish with an olive or a slice of lemon.
If you would like, add 1 teaspoon of chopped dill in addition to the rest of the ingredients.